- Provides strategies to help keep drivers alert and aware while on the road
- The J. J. Keller's Master Driver: Pattern Driving eLearning course covers the following topic:
- Highway Hypnosis
- Everyday complacency
- And other dangerous pattern-driving behaviors
- Course keeps your drivers' attention with dramatic footage, dynamic graphics, 3-D animation, hazard perception challenge scenarios, and "Road Wise" commentary from seasoned transport pros.
- Copyright Date: 2010 (Rev. 8/13)
- Introduction – Explains that highway hypnosis, tunneling out, white line fever, etc. are all forms of pattern driving, and pattern driving typically happens when regular runs become too routine.
- Pattern Driving Defined – Explains that pattern driving is the dangerous state you enter into when routine takes over, and you unconsciously slip into autopilot, which puts you and everyone else on the road at risk.
- The Results of Pattern Driving – Reviews how interstate driving, rural driving, and city driving routes can all lead to highway hypnosis or pattern driving and complacency.
- The Causes of Pattern Driving – Discusses that no matter what form pattern driving takes, the root causes are: environment, boredom, repetition, routine, fatigue, and weather.
- How to Avoid Pattern Driving
- Trance Busters – Covers techniques to use to break spell-binding patterns to force your mind to engage in the task of driving.
- Triggers – Covers another strategy to use as a trance buster to keep your mind active and in sync with your body and with the world outside your rig.
- Conclusion – Emphasizes that if you ignore the obvious dangers of pattern driving, you could be asking for problems, such as getting pulled over, losing time, or injuring yourself and/or others in a crash.
Approximately 45 minutes